Freedom of Information
The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the "Act") and accompanying Regulations (the "Regulations") allow any person, subject to certain exemptions, to apply for access to records containing information possessed or controlled by SIAST.
Information that does not require a formal access request includes:
- published material or material that is available for purchase by the public
- material that is a matter of public record
A request for information that does not fall within these categories may require you
to complete and submit a formal Access to Information Request Form (pdf) and a $20 non-refundable application fee, made payable to SIAST and mailed
or delivered to:
SIAST Privacy Head
c/o SIAST Administrative Offices
400 - 119 4th Avenue South
Saskatoon SK S7K 5X2
The right to access information does not override an individual's right to the protection of privacy. Records that are restricted from public access include:
- information of an identifiable personal or confidential nature in regard to SIAST employees or students, or members of the public using SIAST programs or services, except as specifically provided for in the Act and Regulations (see Accessible Personal Information)
- information obtained in confidence or concerning policy formulation and administration of SIAST
Accessible Personal Information
The public can access the following information of a personal or confidential nature. The Act applies to present and past employees.
- the salary, discretionary benefits and responsibilities of an employee
- the classification of an employee
- the salary history of an employee
- expenses incurred by an individual travelling on behalf of SIAST
- the degrees, certificates or diplomas received
- financial or other details of a contract for personal services
The SIAST privacy head has 30 calendar days to respond from the date the formal Access to Information Request form and $20 application fee are received.
Upon receipt, the request will be assessed to determine:
- whether the information requested may be released and if so, whether the information is readily available
If the information is not readily available and additional work must be undertaken to generate it, an hourly charge may be assessed and a cost estimate provided.
An application fee of $20 is payable at the time an application for access to a record is made.
If more than one hour is spent searching for a record or preparing it for disclosure, a fee of $15 for each half-hour or portion thereof will be assessed. If a search and retrieval of electronic data is required, a fee equal to the actual cost of the search and retrieval (including machinery and operator costs) will be assessed.
If the search and preparation fees are thought to be over $50, an estimate will be provided by the SIAST access and privacy officer. No fees are payable where access to a record is refused.
Any additional fees for photocopying, etc. will apply when an applicant is granted access and provided with a record or part of a record. See Frequently Asked Questions (pdf) for a complete list of additional fees and other access information.
Email: SIAST Privacy Head
Phone: (306) 659-3802
Toll Free: 1-866-goSIAST (467-4278)
Fax: (306) 933-7323